Saturday, January 12, 2008

GOTTA LOVE LA

I usually don't mind giving a dollar to beggars on the street but when they pop out of no where, that creeps me out! Yesterday, I was picking up ribs for dinner at this yummy place on Crenshaw. Anyways, I was coming back to my car and a guy pops out from behind a dumpster calling me "Mommy, Mommy!" "I need some money!" He aggressively comes to my door and I hurry and get in and shut it. And he is banging on my window saying he needs money. So...I pull out 2 quarters and roll down my window just enough to give them to him and what does he do....HE EATS THEM!  What??? I'm like, Don't eat them! And don't approach girls, it scares them! 

So, that adds to my random LA experiences that have included:
1. A Swat Team gathered in front of my house along with about 25 other fireman, police, undercover cars, and K-9 units for about 45 minutes,  all dressed in black with huge guns (not coming to get me but probably one of my neighbors:).
2. Last summer, a van rolled on the 405 freeway right in front of me and I got a BUSY SIGNAL for 911 for like 10 minutes. 
3.  When we first moved here, we got ding donged ditched and I was super scared of the neighborhood. I called Nathan to come home and he called campus security to come drive by, which happened to turn into LAPD SENDING A HELICOPTER 2 minutes later circling my place and 2 policeman showing up at my door to give me... the bread that a couple from church had ding dong ditched by. 

9 comments:

Amber said...

That would totally freak me out! #3 is funny though.

Nilla said...

Yeah, what is it with Mormons and ding-dong ditching? I hate that! I got scared when that happened to me here and I was living alone. I blogged it under the title "I Am Woman" if you ever want to go looking for it. It's one for the story books... I can totally feel your pain on that one (and embarassment when it was just food from people from church trying to be nice)...:) Although I do have to say that I didn't have helicopters flying around and policemen delivering the goodies :).

Heather said...

I had a weird guy follow me to the parking lot at TSUD one night. I was getting freaked out when he said, hey don't you work at the city utilites place? I said no. He said, and you use to work at Sam's. He thought I was Mel. Even if I had been Mel, it would've been creepy. People see you places and think they know you.

If anyone ding dong ditched me after dark, I wouldn't go to the door. Especially if I looked out the window and didn't see anyone.

Lisa -- said...

Yes, you gotta love LA! You gave me and Michael, my husband, a chuckle thinking of all our random LA experiences when we lived there. Have you tried Tito's tacos? It is cheap and SO good. It is Jennifer and Jason's, her husband, favortie place in Culver City. Jason's family lives in El Segundo.

brookeisacrazylady said...

that is too funny.

But alabama had funny stories too. Remember mom getting kissed by the boiled peanuts man? ahahah.

happy birthday sunday!

christy said...

you gave me a good laugh! great stories to tell, esp once you don't live there any more and you miss the money eating beggars:)

Claire Thompson said...

#3 hillarious!! Too bad it wasn't doughnuts.

Our Family said...

Those are some funny experiences! Happy Birthday Linds! Hope it was good! Do you feel like you aren't getting any older? I feel like I am still 25!

Steve, Christy & Roscoe said...

Oh my! That ding dong ditch story still cracks me up...in hindsight, we NEVER should have done that but we were new to LA too and didn't realize the scene/fright it would cause...but it makes for a funny story now right? We miss you guys!